The Perfect Transition or Long-Term Stretch Hairstyle: The Rollerset

Friday, January 7, 2011


Over the last few weeks I've been approached by at least six people inquiring about my natural hair journey. They love my hair and the next words out of their mouths are "I could never do that." My response usually is "Of course you can." I've recently begun asking, "Why not?" The only way to help influence someone to seriously consider this decision is to help address their concerns or objections. More often than not, their number one concern is the transitioning process and blending the two textures.

While I transitioned, the primary and best way for me to do that was by rocking a rollerset. A rollerset does two things
  • Stretches the new growth texture
  • Blends the natural and relaxed textures
The style, versatility and low manipulation of rollersets allows you to transition or stretch your relaxers longer while still maintaining a style. We risk heat damage or not having a curly texture because we are applying heat to our hair daily. I have nothing against straight styles as a form of transitioning or stretching. But if you are on a healthy hair journey, low manipulation and low heat are fundamental principles of that regimen.


One rollerset can yield a plethora of styles for you. I rollerset 1-2 times a week (I loved a fresh rollerset). But I would be able to keep it for 3-4 days (if I took care of it).

Obviously it can rock it curly

You can rock a wrap



I loved rocking a curly updo (wore this to a wedding)



As the roller set gets older, you can rock other styles





If you are creative with your rolling direction and a brush, you can even wear a flip




You can maintain your curls by rolling as needed or pincurling it. I used both methods and they both worked well.


Whether you are transitioning to natural hair or would just like to stretch your relaxers longer, consider rollersets for the versatility and low manipulation.

1 comments:

~L~ on January 7, 2011 at 12:30 PM said...

I never wore roller sets because my relaxed hair was in a short cut but rod sets were a fave of mine.

~L~
my style reports here

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails