Tying Up Loose Ends: My Take on the Turban Trend

Thursday, January 6, 2011

I've been shunning and rebuffing the latest Turban Trend. Not because I'm a self-loathing, influenced by mainstream society, Barbie wanna-be who is not in touch with my "roots." But because of this...


"Stylist" June Ambrose has made this look so "costumey" in my opinion. I understand she may have been inspired by this...

But even notice the difference between how this is styled versus the bathrobe June is wearing...I mean c'mon lady!

I will also say I have issues with June. Wrote a list about them. Wanna hear it? hear it goes (reference video follows the list LOL):
  • She can't spell (spelled sequins "sequence" and quesadillas "casadillas") on Twitter
  • She made a crazy remark about plus-sized women on Twitter
  • I just don't find her a real role model for our younger women (I like her hustle, but she needs some education)

But I digress, this is supposed to be a style-related post.
Approximately 10 years ago I rocked turbans, more out of necessity (to cover up bad hair days), than fashion. It is definitely a style I embrace and appreciate when done in a "non-spa" fashion.

I have seen several turban styles that I like and will duplicate. Including these...



The blogger over at Natural Belle really has this style down and is definitely wearable without looking like you're ready for Halloween.



This one is a little more "Rosie the Riveter"





Now this sista hands down has the coldest turban tutorial I've seen:



4 comments:

Kim {The Stylish Life} on January 6, 2011 at 10:11 AM said...

Sadly I don't have the head for a turban. I know what head gear I can pull off and the turban & I are not meant to be. My mom used to tie my hair in a scarf like Rosie the Riveter when I was little so I could help her dust, lol! I wonder if I could pull that off now without looking like I'm in the kitchen making a stack of flapjacks...LOL!!! Every trend isn't for everybody. No comment on June "Over the Top" Ambrose...

GFS on January 6, 2011 at 10:35 AM said...

I love this post. As Juanette might tell you, I kinda have a thing for turbans but I hanvent' been able to pull off just yet. I think I like it the most with some wild bangs for me.

I am trying to do it in chic way so that it isn't costumey on me.

Thanks for posting that pic of the Kate Moss turban...I love it the most!

Juanette on January 6, 2011 at 10:47 AM said...

I agree with you, some turban looks are too costume-y in my opinion and I really hate that "certain" people are making it a huge trend when we've been doing it for years and it wasn't featured in Vogue back then. But anywho, I laughed out loud at "sequence" instead of sequins, that is such a pet peeve of mine! Ughh! You have definitely given me some inspiration to try! I tried to watch the video but it said an error occurred...

Moni @ CL Journal on January 6, 2011 at 5:04 PM said...

I will say this...I thought it was just me.

I agree with you 100% regarding this look. I have never cared for all of June's styles, I really hated her "style" book. I like her as a go getter (incidentally, way before she became a stylist June worked for same financial firm I worked for, so I equate the spelling errors to a person paid/interning to do her tweets, I mean really, these people are too much on the go to be tweeting every 2 minutes.)

I'm looking forward to new show on VH1 just to see how she actually gets paid to do what she does. But as far as some of her style choices, this is her worst. I've seen bloggers rock this style better.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails