Haute and Hair: Protective Styling Until My One-Year Nappiversary

Monday, March 8, 2010

I'm still trucking along on my natural hair care journey. I've had some good days, bad days and some hills to climb...but as the song says, I won't complain :).

Well, my only complaint is that my hair isn't growing at the rate I feel it should or as it has grown in the past. So in preparation for my one-year "nappiversary" I plan to wear my hair in protective styles and basically "hide my hair" until June (hopefully). I will say, I already miss my curls, but hopefully they will be longer and poppin' when I reveal my hair for my nappiversary!

So to the left <--- is what I'm rocking right now...Kinky Twists. They are a little over a week old. The first week was a challenge because they itched so badly! But after consulting my trusty LHCF and YouTube, I decided to wash them. And my scalp is grateful! Before washing, I was not sure if I was going to make it even a month, especially not the two months I was hoping to keep them in. But now a month is going to be doable (I like to change styles so often, I can't commit to anything past a month right now :).

I'm working on a style tutorial on the style I'm rocking. It's so simple! Ten minutes and you're done!

Let me know if you are on a protective style challenge (personally or part of a group) or if you're hiding your hair and how you're rocking your hair while hiding.

Stay beautiful!

5 comments:

...ALLmEYEne... on March 8, 2010 at 2:49 PM said...

Soror...I'm loving the hair, i meant to comment on your video last night. I'm right there with you with my 1 yr in June as well. I've been keeping my hair protected most of the time. I alternate sew-in and wigs. I think next I will try Tree Braids (or Crochet Braids) there's only a slight different.

I took my hair down Saturday and I'm impressed with the growth. So a protective style is very rewarding in the end.

TrendySocialite on March 8, 2010 at 3:18 PM said...

Hey Soror!

Thanks! Yes, I'm hoping to see a difference in my hair even in the next month or so. I'm missing my curlies, but hopefully it will be worth the wait!

simplysakeya on March 14, 2010 at 8:25 PM said...

I love it cuz! your hair looks great and I commend you for doing so well and staying the. Slow and steady wins the race remember. Love ya MUAH! can't wait to see the nappyanniversary pics! I am coloring my hair tomorrow. I will let you know how it turns out. you are the greatest to help me out. I will post pics and I will send them to you if you like.

The Best of Me on June 4, 2010 at 4:45 PM said...

Hello, I was looking up information on kinky twists and came across your blog. I will be getting kinky twists as a protective style. What do you use to keep your hair moisturized with the kinky twists? I've seen on some websites people mention coconut oil or jojoba oil.

The Best of Me on June 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM said...

I happened to come across your blog while searching for info on kinky twists. I will be getting kinky twists as a protective style next week. What do you use on your kinky twists to keep your hair/scalp moisturized? Some sites I have been to suggest using coconut oil or jojoba oil, what do you suggest?

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails