The Down East Holiday Show: Shop Outside of the Box!

Monday, November 8, 2010

For the second year, one of my besties and I attended the Down East Holiday Show which benefits our local community college's scholarship foundation. Whoever came up with this idea was a genius! It is one of the best events in our area (which is saying a lot).

It is "trade show" like with vendors from all over eastern NC. There were wineries, clothing stores, handmade items, tupperware, holiday decorations, etc. We go to sample, sip and shop!

I had not planned to blog about this event, but then I thought, "Wait! This is a perfect example of my theory of "shopping outside of the box." If you're not sure of what I'm talking about, check out my YouTube video on the subject.


During our time there, it was interesting how few "brown like me" people were there--as vendors or as shoppers. They had some good stuff! Things that you would not normally find in your typical department stores. And that's what sets the readers of my blog apart from the masses--they find style any and everywhere, even at a holiday show! :)

I also met a uber talented jewelry designer (yes, I think she's that talented to be called a jewelry designer) named Mackenzie Kern. Mackenzie was friendly, engaging and a great saleswoman. The best part about Mackenzie, she's 14 years old! To see such talent in someone that young--I was impressed. And what was even cuter was how her mom was GUSHING with pride!  Mackenzie is pictured below...
We told my bestie's 13-year-old daughter that she would be spending her Christmas vacay making jewelry! LOL
You may check out her jewelry up close and personal on Facebook, Etsy or via her website. You're never too young to start your side hustle and career paths. I suspect Mackenzie will have a long career ahead of her.

Here are some other pictures from the Holiday show. I suggest if you have one in your area to go check it out. You never know what treasures you may find.


 Hmmmmm cake! One of the few "brown like me" vendors there...



 One of the best wineries I've EVER had the pleasure of sampling. There food isn't half bad either!
We didn't sample all of the wines...we aren't lushes! LOL

3 comments:

Unknown on November 8, 2010 at 5:10 PM said...

Duplin!!! yess!!! Duplin!!! Talk about being side ways after couple of glasses ??!?!? lol

TrendySocialite on November 8, 2010 at 5:16 PM said...

My friend tells the funniest story of going down there to buy some candles (because they smelled like grapes) and staying for a wine tasting. Well, rather than swishing and spitting, they were swallowing. They had to call my friend's mother to come pick them up cuz they were past side ways...they were upside down LOL

My friend and I love that wine! LOL

Unknown on November 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM said...

LOL!I used to do price changes and receiving for Food Lion and we would harass the Duplin reps for free bottles.Never worked though. lol. My co-worker tells me to drink it with a little Sprite to bring the alcohol down. I got some my Sorors turn on to it and everytime someone drinks some I get a text about being "on that Duplin".

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails