What Real Women Do...

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Have you ever felt lead to compliment someone but thought "Are they going to think I'm crazy for doing so?" In this world of cyber voyeurism, it is easy to follow people's lives, use their ideas and never interact with them. But every once in a while, you should reach out to someone, if for no other reason than to say "hi" and "I appreciate what your doing."

Well, I've never been the type to shy away from complimenting other people, women especially. Not just on their clothes or shoes, but on their looks. I'm also not afraid to give other women their props when they are clearly doing it big, doing something I admire, or making a clear impact on some aspect of society.

The one thing that I've noticed is when I feel lead to do something like this, the person inevitably comes back to me and says how much my compliment made their day. This happened yesterday. And for me, knowing I make someone else's day, makes my day.

We never know where someone is in life and what they are going through. Taking a few minutes to (as my grandmother said) "Give them their flowers while they're living" may be the one thing that turns someone's day (or life) around.

Even the most confident of us has moments (if not days, weeks, months or seasons) where we wonder if we matter. We question whether blogging about our outfits, makeup choices, hairstyles and shoes impacts anyone's life positively. Patting someone on the back doesn't diminish our place in the world and could propel another person toward even more greatness than they are already achieving.

We are never too busy or too important to give compliments and to tell other people (even strangers) the impact they have (or have had) on our lives.

This is what real women do....

2 comments:

GFS on November 17, 2010 at 8:08 PM said...

*side eye Trendy, side eye!!*

No, really...amen sister, amen sister. Thank you for my flowers again:) I needed it.

Juanette on November 20, 2010 at 9:25 AM said...

You are so right on with this post, GET OUTTA MY HEAD, lol.

I am a 'complimenter' also, I figure it doesn't cost me anything to let someone know that I appreciate them, like what they're wearing, etc. and it does go a long way. (BUT it has to be sincere from me, I ain't gonna tell you I like your shoes if they're ugly, lol.)

This post was so spot on and thank you again!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails